Monday, January 16, 2012



Why Gothic?  What's the attraction?

For my first post, I wanted to share a little bit about myself before I post discussions on Gothic Art, Literature and Architecture and music. So here goes:

I always knew I was different. From the time I was a child, watching The Addams Family--no--not the movies made in the '90's , but the old TV show.  I loved Morticia. I thought she was so elegant and beautiful with her long black hair and long black dress, so pale and so lovely. I had to be about six or seven years old.

Morticia Addams, my mentor at age seven


Little did I know that I was falling for the dark side, even as a child. I developed a fascination for the beauty of the dark Goth.

The dark side of romance also was blooming in my faint little heart. Mortica and Mr. Addams were intriguing. His passion for her, no matter the situation. Mr. Addams worshipped Mortica as a goddess extraordinaire. I was enthralled by their love play, and in later years that simple admiration would blossom into a writing career where I created dark, sinister Gothic Heroes.
Thank you, Mortica and Mr. Addams.

My second role model was Lily Munster. Again, dark, elegant, beautiful.
Normal, in my way of thinking.  Long black hair, pale skin, so ethereal.  If kids are influenced by what they watch on TV, then I was influenced as a child by Mortica Addams and Lily Munster. 

As a teen, I was drawn to the dark side. The bad boys then were the Vampires. Louis and Lestat of Anne Rice fame.  These men made my teen heart throb while others were fascinated with the bubble gum good guy types. 

As I look back, I realize that I was attracted to the Gothic genre before I even completed elementary school, before Goth became a term describing kids with black lipstick, badly dyed hair and dog collars.  I was Goth before it was a label. I didn't wear black lipstick as a teen, or black nail polish. I just read dark books, and was attracted like a moth to a flame to anything dark and creepy.

Cemetery Crypt Special Effects, Copyright 2006 Lilith Bloodrose
 In college, I was also set apart from my peers. I was older than the average college student, as I went back to college to pursue a degree in art with an emphasis in photography. What really set me apart as an art student was my dark side, not my age. I created dark works for my assignments, and was labeled as weird and dark by all the happy, cheerful 18-20 year olds who didn't see the ethereal beauty in the cemetery photographs I shot (above), or the gargoyle photo I created with our pinhole camera assignment. (Below)
Gargoyle, Pinhole Camera Shot. Copyright 2004  Lilith Bloodrose
 I did not fit in with the 'normal' crowd, and I took that as a blessing. As an artist, and a mature adult, I wanted to embrace my fascination for the dark side. My photography teacher, bless her, was the only one who understood my need to create dark images, and she encouraged me to follow my muse. Fellow students, however, labeled me is dark, strange, odd, weird--not much had changed since high school, despite having married and having children. I was still dark inside. Not dark and twisty, like Meredith Grey on Grey's Anatomy, but dark, and happy to be so.



So, dear reader, I am a Goth, born that way. Not a phase, not after so many years. I love gothic art, architecture, and literature. I read classic Anne Rice, and also Anne Radcliffe--for those of you who do not know, Anne Radcliffe wrote Gothic Novels that were popular in the 1790's, long before Anne Rice hit the scene with her 18th century Lestat.  I love Ozzie, and Evanescence.  I like Jessica Galbreath's Gothic watercolor fairies. I like to walk through cemeteries, looking for beautiful sculptures of angels and wistful women. I love Tim Burton's works, Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride.

If there is one thing that's true about those who are truly Gothic at heart, is that it's a lonely existence. You don't tell your cheerleader friends, lest they step away from you. You don't tell your in-laws, who never liked you to begin with. So with that in mind, please feel free to connect with me on this blog or on my facebook page  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lilith-Bloodrose/276490345732977

So, why Gothic? I opened with a question, and I'm not sure of the answer. Why am I attracted to Gothic things? I don't know, maybe it's in the blood?  All I know is that after so many years, it's just who I am.

I welcome my fellow followers of darkness to connect to each other and to stand proud yet different as an alternate genre.


Chills to you,

Lilith Bloodrose 2012















No comments:

Post a Comment